Tuesday 30 September 2008

INTIMACY

BLOG 9

Dear Surfing Bloggers!

“INTIMACY”

Now there's a word. This is going to be a more personal BLOG. Hope you are awake. May it bless you deeply.

I went to bed listening to BBC World Service. USA are in big trouble. Wall Street has just had its worst day ever! The worldly kingdom is looking on in fear! What will happen next?

The following morning (today) I awoke to a brilliant blue sky, sun bursting through mature Jacaranda, Flamboyant and Royal Palm trees. Smaller Banana Palms lightly sway in sensitive response to an unseen fresh morning breeze; it's as if Someone has gently touched their tips, their response is to wave with tickling delight.

Last night, in a semi-conscious state, I lay in bed. My right eye began to hurt as an intense 'light' beamed upon it and I heard a familiar gentle voice – one that I now delight to hear – saying, 'Peter, this is My light. This is My presence in part. If I were to take you now into its fullness you would not be able to to withstand its intensity. You would be blinded. I am pure white light. Powerful light.' I fell into a deep sleep.
Some hours later I awoke to read my/our 'Daily Devotional' passage and thought for the day. The subject was 'Intimacy'. Wow, I love intimacy for so many different reasons; its secure, deeply personal, reassuring, bringing hope, joy and a purpose. Above all I love intimacy because it is love in its deepest sense and meaning. It costs, but there is nothing as valuable as intimacy with my creator, my lover!
The passage we read together came from one of my O.T. Favourites, Song of Songs/Solomon (one we were forbidden to publicly read at boarding school – the staff couldn't cope with it – too real for their liking!). In chapter 3, verses 1 to 4 things get intimate! As I dwelt on the passage I 'knew' that I am the beloved and my lover, Jesus, found me as I have wandered.
As I continued to meditate upon these words, they change me inside; from 'logos' to 'reality'. Tears well up inside me and flow freely down my cheeks as once more I allow God to love me. Again I hear His beautiful clear voice confidently say how much He delights in me and in Paula; in our relationship with Him and with each other. I want to talk, but calmly give in to His presence. It's His presence I long to remain in, give time to. It's far more important than anything else or anyone else.

We are not on a practice run here on earth for that which is to come. The Truth is that eternity has already begun and we need to exercise daily in the practice of 'intimacy'. To lay aside all other things; distractions and worries the enemy wants us to legitimately consider as more important.
Help me Lord to remain 'intimate' with You 24/7. Thank you for helping me repay the carpenter.

Kenya is a beautiful country, with outstanding scenery, sights and sounds! The people continue to fill our hearts as we develop deeper relationships. The friendship with a Kenyan (precious as it is) is generally 'shallow' with us westerners. Friendships with other 'missionaries' tend to be more real. Our two cultures (Kenyan & European/American) are very different. Our ways of doing things are different. The Kenyan meaning of time is 'abstract'! Our outlook on what is and what isn't important are very different. Our weather systems are decidedly and wonderfully different.

The Kenyans we associate with; at school, church, home group, and in our compound are gentle, calm and friendly. We are growing to love them. As we have begun to build deeper friendships with a few, so they have begun to 'open up'. However this is mainly brought about as we ask appropriate leading questions. There is one exception...David (a synonym). When he knows we are relaxed about time, he has told me (Peter) some amazing true stories. He is genuinely concerned about others, protecting them, yet asking for advice and support. He is an upright man, young and intelligent, with a teachable spirit. We recently received a text from him saying '...God has called you here for such a time as this to be involved in peoples lives, to help make a difference.' What a word of encouragement.

Sometimes I (Peter) want to be effective to the masses and help change their poverty into riches. However, it seems most likely that He has called me/us to the 'ones' and 'twos'. I am reminded of a saying as I write this: - “You may think that you are only one person in the world. However, you may be the world to one person.”
Jesus put it even better, 'In as much as you did it unto one of the least of these my brethren, you did it as unto me.'

I hate 'religiosity'! It stinks!!
I love the 'reality' of 'love'.
I hate 'performance' ('They have their reward already!')
I love 'serving'.
I hate 'judging' others. (Don't you?)
I love being 'merciful'.
Lord help me/us to be 'loving', 'serving', and full of 'mercy'. Not to use people, culture or climate as a feeble excuse to avoid what I/we were created for – to be 'INTIMATE' with you and one another.

Our 'honeymoon' period in Kenya has long gone. We have now been granted 2 year work permits. Let's get my/our hands dirty and keep my/hearts pure. It's so awesome when you know you are where He has planted you and positioned you for His service.

Hope you all stayed awake, got inspired and want to get more intimate.

Peter & Paula Phillips ( serving To Kenya With Love – www.tkwl.org )

No comments: